South Africa's flagship holiday resort, Sun City is an entertainment mecca just 2 hours’ drive from Johannesburg. With attractions that include a casino, man-made beach, championship golf courses, a safari park and more, it’s no surprise that Sun City is a favourite destination for families, couples and groups of friends. Just because the North West is a landlocked province, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a beach day! One of the biggest attractions in Sun City is the Valley of Waves with its own artificial beach. Here you can enjoy numerous thrills and even surf the waves in the Roaring Lagoon.
What we love about Sun City holidays
- There’s a world of entertainment for the entire family to enjoy, from golfing to adrenaline-fueled adventures and big 5 safaris to arcade games and more.
- Sun City is only a 2-hour drive from Johannesburg, making it an excellent choice for mid-week breaks and weekend getaways.
- It’s South Africa’s only landlocked surf-and-safari destination.
Bonus, there are various accommodation packages, to suit every budget, to choose from in Sun City. Take your pick from 5-star luxury at The Palace or Cascades, or enjoy chic Soho (the original Sun City hotel). For a more family-friendly option enjoy a stay at the Cabanas hotel. Browse our Sun City holiday packages for 2023 and let's plan your trip today.
Sun City holidays are all about having the time of your life. There are so many things to do in this legendary entertainment mecca, you won’t know where to begin. For a romantic getaway with your partner, a wild weekend with friends or a holiday with the whole family, Sun City Resort has it all. Tee-off on a championship golf course, watch a world-class concert, party the night away in a chic club, be pampered at the spa, see a movie, go on a bush adventure... then recover on the beach at the Valley of Waves before doing it all over again!
Things to do in Sun City
- Visit South Africa’s most exciting water park, the Valley of Waves.
- Take a Segway tour around Sun City resort.
- Go on a hot air balloon ride over the Pilanesberg National Park, followed by a Big 5 game drive.
- Explore the Maze of the Lost City, the largest permanent maze in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Enjoy a round of golf on a choice of two world-class courses.
- Explore the Palace of the Lost City, an architectural marvel, and its man-made jungle.
- Visit the Hall of Fame, which pays homage to South African sports legends and celebrities.
- Try your luck at the legendary casino.
The original home of entertainment, Sun City truly is “a world in a city”. You won’t easily run out of things to do. Find your fun with a Sun City holiday package from Thompsons Holidays. Book now!
When is the best time to visit?
- Sun City is a year-round sunny destination.
- The resort is very popular over the school holidays, especially in December.
- Expect the occasional afternoon thunderstorm between November and April.
- Winter is the best time to visit for game viewing in the Pilanesberg National Park.
Getting there & getting around
- There are no direct flights to Sun City. You would fly to Johannesburg and then travel to Sun City by road.
- However, there is an airstrip available at Pilanesberg National Park for pre-arranged private charters.
- Sun City lies 200km (about a 2-hour drive) from Johannesburg.
- Most attractions in Sun City are within walking distance of each other. A free shuttle service is available to hotel guests.
- Entrance fees for Sun City Resort are waived for hotel guests and event ticket-holders. Day visitor fees apply.
- Valley of Waves entrance fees for day visitors apply.
- Entrance fees for day visitors and hotel residents apply for the Royal Baths (adults only).
- Credit cards are accepted, and ATMs are available across the resort.
- North West is a malaria-free area.
- Smoking is permitted in designated areas only.
- Lightweight clothing and swimwear for summer, layers for winter as it’s often warm during the day, and a rain jacket for summer thundershowers.
- Appropriate attire to be worn at all times.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses.
- Hand sanitiser.
- Familiarise yourself with Sun City’s safety rules.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line for assistance.