Nothing is as rejuvenating as a weekend getaway, an opportunity to get away from it all for a couple of days and recharge. Whether you’re looking to indulge your passion for an activity, such as hiking or fishing, or just want to escape and relax, there are so many options for local escapes. Want to take the kids away for some family time, or enjoy a romantic break with your loved one? Head to the beach to enjoy some sun, sea and sand, go game viewing on a mini safari, or be pampered at a spa with the girls on a weekend away. Not sure where to go? We have plenty of ideas so that you can choose the ultimate weekend break.
There are so many choices for weekend getaways
- Escape to the Cape to hike Table Mountain.
- Head for the Drakensberg for a family getaway.
- Go trout fishing in Dullstroom.
- Take the kids on a getaway through the Midlands Meander.
- Embark on an adventure to God’s Window.
- Sample wines and fabulous food in the Cape Winelands.
- Enjoy game viewing in the Kruger National Park.
- Go whale watching in Hermanus.
- Be pampered at the Palace of the Lost City.
You don’t have to travel far to enjoy a relaxing break away from routine. South Africa boasts plenty of exciting options for a weekend away, and many of them are incredibly affordable. Take your pick of weekend getaways, ranging from luxury to cheap packages, with the family, alone, with the girls, or on a camping trip with the guys. South Africa is so beautiful, and we have so many fascinating places to visit. Browse our affordable 2022 packages now and start exploring!
How do I plan weekend getaways near me? Easy! Thompsons Holidays has plenty of weekend getaways with kids on offer at great prices and in many cases, children can share with their parents to make it even more affordable.
Here are some examples of fun-filled family weekend getaways:
- The Drakensberg has excellent deals at family hotels and self-catering stays with hiking, horse riding, sports facilities and daily activity programs.
- For those in Gauteng it is an easy drive to game farms in the west, while the Magalies Meander is full of fun surprises like hot-air ballooning and zip line canopy tours.
- North East of Pretoria is the restored village of Cullinan with more activities than you manage in a day.
- Sun City also has a wide variety of suitable accommodation for family weekend getaways and there is so much to keep kids active, from the Valley of Waves to Segway tours, quad bikes, putt-putt and a fun maze.
- Clarens in the Free State is also a family favourite with craft markets, golf, hiking and pony rides.
- Mpumalanga is home to the Kruger National Park and the Panorama Route presents a number of interludes including historic Pilgrims Rest where you can still pan for Gold. The Graskop Gorge Lift takes you down into the hidden valley and there are zip lines and bungy jumps too.
- The KZN south coast has superb beaches with year-round warm water, and when you have had enough sun head for the pristine Oribi Gorge with walks in the forest. The Wild Coast Sun is a destination for all ages with golf for adults and Wild Waves Water Park for the kids.
- The Western Cape is tops for winter weekend getaways as you can head for the Overberg or up the west coast and stay in a self-catering cottage with a hearty fire and games around the table.
- Or you can venture a little further to historic Swellendam or over the magnificent Swartberg Pass to charming Prince Albert for a classic small-town feel.
- Hermanus is also ideal for family getaways, and kids will love spotting whales from the various nature paths that run along the coast.
Whether you’re looking for a fun resort-style family getaway, a self-catering hideaway in a scenic part of South Africa, or glamping in style, Thompsons can arrange anything to suit you and your kids.
Ever looked at the calendar and realised you have missed the opportunity to turn a long weekend into a holiday away? Fret no more. We have put together the ultimate guide to making the most out of your long weekends in South Africa this 2022.
Human Rights Day - 21 March
This public holiday is historically linked with the Sharpeville events. This day is to remind South African of the sacrifices and lives lost along the road to democracy in South Africa. The 21st of March 2022 is a Monday. You could take either the previous Friday or the Tuesday after the public holiday and turn it into a 4 day long weekend getaway.
Easter Weekend, Good Friday & Family Day - 15 April & 18 April
Easter Weekend is a Christian holiday that celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ. You can enjoy a 4 day long weekend getaway or take some extra days on either side to enjoy a good holiday adventure.
Freedom Day - 27 April
This public holiday is to commemorate the first democratic elections held in South Africa on the 27th April in 1994. This year this holiday falls on Wednesday. There are many ways you could spin this to your advantage by taking either the Monday and Tuesday or Thursday and Friday off and having a lovely long weekend. Or, if you are thinking about a nice long overseas adventure why not take the days off between Easter Weekend and Freedom Day. This will give you 13 days of holiday for only 6 days of leave.
Worker's Day - 1 May
This is an internationally celebrated holiday. Worker's Day in South Africa holds its own cultural significance. It honours both the sacrifices made for the progression worker's rights and the fundamental role that trade unions, the Communist Party and various labour organisations played in the fight against Apartheid. As this holiday falls on a Sunday this year it will be observed on Monday the 2nd of May.
Youth Day - 16 June
This day is for reflecting upon the courage and sacrifice of our youth during the Soweto Uprising. Youth Day falls on a Thursday this year. Take the Friday off and you'll have a 4 day long weekend! Perfect for a getaway with a fireplace and jacuzzi for those cold winter nights.
National Women's Day - 9 August
This South African public holiday commemorates the march to the Union Buildings in Pretoria of around 20,000 women in 1956. This march was to petition against the laws that required "black" South Africans to carry a passbook. This holiday falls on a Tuesday, take the Monday off and treat the women in your life to a long weekend away.
Day of Reconciliation - 16 December
The Day of Reconciliation was created to mark the end of Apartheid. It falls on a Friday this year making it the perfect excuse to go away for the long weekend. For many this also marks the start of the December holidays. Book a fantastic island vacation before or for Christmas.
Day of Goodwill - 26 December
This is a religious holiday, observed by Christians. In South Africa the day is there to carry on the spirit of Christmas and people are encouraged to give back to the less fortunate.